Saturday, March 9th marked the one year anniversary of our friend Rob’s passing. But it just so happened that on Saturday, March 9th, the sun came out, the weather warmed up and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. It was the perfect day and date to plant a flower bed in honor of Robby. Nice Guy Ted had been collecting annual and perennial bulbs for us and brought them over that Saturday to plant. I wish we could plant a PBR tree or concrete flowers for him, but tulips and day lilies will have to do.
With springtime just around the corner (we’re hoping), our interior space sufficiently set-up and our climate control system installed, we were finally ready to put this greenhouse to work! But wait! We were missing one important component. We need to get lit! I mean really lit.
After we got the wood boiler installed and part of the house rehabbed (the upstairs needed a new kitchen and the downstairs was transformed from one huge open space into an apartment style living quarters with a utility room) the next step was to make the garden. Our property has three large hay fields so we took a section of one field and planned our garden area. Deciding on the space was pretty easy. One hay field is too far from the house and another field has our septic system underneath it. The remaining hay field turned out to be the perfect place for a garden; it was flat with a gentle slope for drainage, across from the fresh water springs, next to the chicken coop and also viewable from my kitchen window.